On my table this evening, I have two little birds waiting to be embroidered and 3 tulips all finished. Also a pile of baskets ready to be sewn (but they don’t look quite as pretty… yet!)
Look! I used the sorbetto top pattern to make myself a cute little smocked top!
I love that pattern and how adaptable it is. You only have to google it and you can see all the different variations that people have made themselves. Thanks Colette patterns for providing it as a free download! I am sure you have inspired many many people to start sewing their own clothes.
When I’ve found some gorgeous jersey fabric (the never-ending quest – I could just buy some online but I really really like to feel the fabrics myself – I might have to compromise, this is adding a lot of time to the creative process people!) I would love to try Colette Patterns’ new Moneta dress or Tilly’s super cute Coco dress.
So, back to my lovely little top. I wanted to make a kind of t-shirt top with a bit of something else to it, kind of like a short sleeved Mathilde. I cut out the back piece as normal, then I cut out the bottom 3/4 or so of the front as per the pattern, but then cut out the top 1/4 of the front without the pleats to make a yoke, adding a cm to each for the seam allowance. Then I played around with pleats in the bottom part of the front piece, and basted and pressed them when I found a look that I liked. Then I pinned the pleated bottom part to the top part, ready to sew. I added in some cute peach lace that I had lying around, just to see if I could, then I sewed the 2 parts of the front together. Then I carried on sewing as per the instructions, adding the sleeves like I did before. I hope that makes sense, do let me know if you would like any steps clarifying!
And here’s a rare picture of me modelling it:
The fabric has a tiny stripe in it that does funny things to your eyes if you look at it too long! Anyhow, I like how it turned out on the whole. Next time I would make it a tiny bit longer perhaps, and a bit less flarey at the hips.
Off to dig out my brolly, it’s sure to rain now I have a lovely new summer top. Bye for now! x
Well, can I just say, I am never buying new pyjamas again! I have just made my first pair of pj bottoms and it was SO EASY!!
If you need a quick & satisfying project, this is the one for you. I think the hardest part of the whole thing was cutting out the pattern & fabric. Then it was 5 seams, some folding & pressing, 3 more seams and poking the elastic through the top. There was a little hand sewing to finish but meh, nothing to worry about. The perfect sewing project for a Sunday afternoon!
I used the pattern & instructions from Weekend Sewing by Heather Ross to make mine. Think I’ll make some for the boys next, keeping an eye out for suitable fabric.
The fabric I used for my pj’s was a bargain from my visit to Manchester last week. I went to Abakhan’s, it was ace (although I’m not sure my husband would agree) – fabric everywhere, all different kinds, by the metre or the kilo. My fabric was from the City Weekends collection by Liesl Gibson for Moda, great coral colour – not quite so bright as this photo – and lovely drape. I can’t wait for bedtime now!
If you’ve lost your sewing mojo, I highly recommend you make yourself (or someone else) some pyjama bottoms. Worked for me!
Can you guess what it is yet?!
From the instructions & pattern by Lisa Forman in Mollie Makes issue 25.
Just a little update on what I’ve done so far with my lovely Lotta Jansdotter fabrics. I’ve made this super chunky quilt top, for my family this time, I just need to buy batting then I can start on the old quilting. It’s my little boy’s birthday party this weekend so we’ll be quite busy but I’m sure I can fit in a bit of “essential” shopping!
I’m not sure what I will bind it with, a turquoise maybe? All suggestions gratefully received!
I’ve been finishing a baby quilt for my mum, I did all the quilting by hand. I found it very addictive! It’s so portable and you can watch telly or talk or supervise children while you do it! Win-win. I’ve started a new mini cheater quilt so I can continue the fun. Using a fantastic fabric called “Put a Stamp on it” by Suzy Ultman. It’s so cute, I love the slightly muted palette & the cute imagery.
Woo hoo! I made a top. I’ve been wanting to do this for ages, and have had the fabric and the pattern ready to go for a good few weeks.
Anyway, I’ve done it now & I feel very proud. And I’ve worn it too!
It is a Sorbetto top – a freebie pattern from Colette patterns. I used a coral pink cotton fabric with a clipped dot pattern (Swiss dot?) that I bought in the market ages ago. I love my local market, it has great fabric and haberdashery stalls & is usually my first port of call for supplies.
Here’s a lovely photo of me with no head. But see how beautiful my top is!
The instructions for the Sorbetto top were very easy to follow indeed, and the finished top is a good fit. I will definitely be making another.
If you’re thinking of trying some dressmaking, I would highly recommend this pattern as a good place to start. Do it!
Everything is coming into bloom and leaf at the moment. Inspired by all the new green growth around I made this cute flowerpot one afternoon using fabric scraps, it turned out really well. The pot is pieced patchwork and the leaves are appliquéd. After I took this photo I embroidered a little stalk to connect the leaves to the pot.